Search This Blog

Saturday, December 03, 2005

My dear nephew,

Four years ago, you came into this world. It has been both an exhilarating and crazy ride for us all, having you as a constant source of joy and confusion at home.

On this special day, I wish I could pray for you a good life, but I won't. I want you to grow - and it would mean that you experience both the good and not-so-good things. As much as I would want to teach you to always be safe, it would not be fair. You need to make mistakes, sometimes to learn from them, or simply just to learn that being human means being imperfect. And that that is beautiful.

Be strong of body, and of mind. I wish that you would keep learning all your life, and that you would be thankful for everything you have and don't have. And if you have questions, that I would always be there to try and discover them with you. I can't teach you things but I can show you what I know and it's up to you to make them your truths or not.

Last, I want to thank you for several things. Thank you for wiping away the stresses of our day with the things you do, among others: suddenly singing a commercial jingle being shown on television, reciting the names of all the action figures you see at the mall, and how there is almost not a single day that I have to pay a 'toy' or 'food' toll on the door when I come home from work.

Thank you for amusing us with your silly questions. Of reminding us that things don't always have to be complicated in order to be enjoyed.

Many returns.

-Your uncle

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's really sweet chasky =)

rookie said...

:) other times he's a real pain in the ass hahaha :P