Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

flashback: like solar cells

The disciple approached his master:
"For years I have been seeking ilumination," he said. "I feel that I am close to achieving it. I need to know what the next step is."
"How do you support yourself ?" the master asked.
"I haven't yet learned how to support myself, my parents help me out. But is only a detail."
"Your next step is to look directly at the sun for half a minute," said the master. And the disciple obeyed.
When the half-minute was over, the master asked him to describe the field that surrounded them. "I can't see it. The sun has affected my vision," the disciple said.
"A man who seeks only the light, while shirking his responsibilities, will never find illumination. And one who keep his eyes fixed upon the sun ends up blind," was the master's comment.

- Paulo Coelho, Maktub collection of short stories

this is really really nice.

now let us, for one second, imagine we're like solar cells just sitting under the sun, unutilized. what a waste eh?

then imagine instead that we're not just wasting away all the sunlight we see and receive; that we're part of one big solar panel receiving light and turning it into useful and clean energy (giving light, warmth...power).

not the best example - but it drives home the idea that it is not enough to just see the light, if i may put it this way: convert it to energy!

and by the way, i'm all for sustainable energy.

No comments: